Sunday, April 10, 2011

Field Trip

Today was a GREAT day!!
I love the people I am with here in Israel; I have never
been with such an amazing group of people before.
I love them all.
I love their testimonies, their zest for life, their purity,
their genuine concern for others, and their examples.
I will sincerely miss them all when I leave here and will look forward to the day
when I am in Utah for a JC reunion :)
So today we went to Qumran where the dead sea scrolls were found; I actually got to
see the caves where these significant scrolls were.
One of the caves, number 4, housed thousands of scrolls.
All of the books of the Bible were found in the caves
except Esther.
The dead sea scrolls are so valuable
because they are reasons why we have the Bible today.
Those ancient people took time to copy Bible passages which led to us
having access to the Bible in modern times.
We went to Masada after this where the last of the Jewish Zealots were.
So Rome conquered all of Israel and the last standing peoples were those
of Masada. These people didn't want to
be taken captive so they
drew ten names; the pot sherds with mens names have actually been found in Masada, and these ten men killed everyone including their families.
Tonight at dinner my table talked about what we would do in this situation and after discussion we decided that we would
have faith in God, we wouldn't take other peoples lives into our own hands
but rather we would trust in Him and fight for our lives
but in the end let His will be done.
This of course is the best case scenario
but I hope that I am striving to be this person who can put my life in Heavenly
Father's hands and do my part but in
the end let His will be done.
It was a powerful lesson to me and I really enjoyed the insight
we received while chatting at our table tonight.
After Masada we went to a nature reserve, Ein Gedi, and walked around, saw a waterfall, Ibex, Harax, and a giant dead dragon fly!
I took a picture of the dragon fly and me, he was newly dead I could tell because his eyes were still all glassy and in tact; it was really neat.
After this we went to the Dead Sea.
Yes.
I floated in the Dead Sea.
Yes,
the water stung at all my little scabs and any other open part of my body.
Yes,
that didn't stop me from staying in for 45 minutes.
Yes,
I glided effortlessly and gracefully through the water.
Yes,
you really can read a book and just sit in the dead sea
Yes,
I can't stop gushing about the Dead Sea!!
Yes,
it was the most glorious thing ever!!
No more yes comments haha. I will just tell you straight up I wish
I could have a dead sea like pool in my backyard with out the gross
taste (like a chemical, not even like salt)
and without the stinging on the skin.
I really liked the soft slightly slimy but pleasant feel the water left on your skin and I loved how you could float in it!!
It is amazing!!
Humans never get to float in anything, so floating in
Dead Sea water
was pretty exhilarating.
One other thing, the water is so clear!!
I could see my feet and further down in the water, it was a glorious blue color,
and at the beginning there were tons of salt deposit build ups lining the floor, then it got
too deep and I couldn't see anything.
Seriously one of my favorite things ever!!
I wanna go backkkk!!!
I heart Israel.
Muah.
One more funny thing.
So normally we can't wear shorts on field trips or like ever and so
today we got the ok to wear shorts so like half of us
left in our knee length basket ball shorts and T's.
It was sooo funny.
Instead of shorts day I felt like it was ghetto chill clothes day hahah.
And the people without shorts on wore like their pants rolled up
just because they could.
It made me giggle.
ps- I am so grateful for my life.
I love it.


1 comment:

  1. The Dead Sea sounds amazing, haha! I can only imagine what it would be like to be in the places that you've been. What an amazing experience. See you soon, love you!

    ReplyDelete