Friday, January 14, 2011

Pics and an update!






So today we went to the western wall, a holy place for the Jews, to watch the Shabbat worship. It was cool. There were tons of people all praying at the wall and also they would form circles and dance and sing songs. The picture with me and another girl in front of a wall was taken at the western wall a few days ago. The sabbath for the Jews, at least for the Friday night service is celebratory, it is completely acceptable to dance and sing songs and be happy. I got to touch the wall and that was really cool. It is an amazing structure which dates back to the time before Christ. On our way to the wall our professors walked with us and they showed us this excavation site that was built before even Christ was alive. It is so mind boggling. The one thing I am so thankful for is that I, as an LDS person know that Jesus Christ is my savior, that he is the Son of God, that he is divine. Muslims and Jews don't believe that Christ played this significant role, they don't see him as the literal Son of God. There are many similarities between Jews and Mormons but then there is this huge difference; the lack of Jesus as the redeemer of all mankind. I know that Jesus is my Savior, that he set the example for me, that he was killed and resurrected for me and everyone else on the Earth. I am so thankful for that knowledge. I love Jerusalem. It is an amazing place. It is so crazy for me to think that I am actually here, where the Bible took place. I often think of home, I always miss Grant, but I know that me being here is shaping me in ways that I never would have been able to be shaped if I were at home. I am learning wonderful things and having sacred experiences. I will never be able to replicate this experience so I need to embrace it while I can. Some people were telling me how their friends didn't get into the program and they had diligently prepared and had desired to come for a very long time. It made me feel so bad and ungrateful. There are people who wanted this trip more than I did and I took that experience away from them. After having those thoughts I had to re direct my thoughts and realize that Heavenly Father has his hand in all things, He would not have sent people on this study abroad if they were not supposed to come. I know that I am supposed to be here and while I yearn for home I know that soon I will be there and Jerusalem will be a memory forever ingrained in my heart and mind. I am going to learn as much as possible while I am here and I am going to create as many amazing experiences while I can. I will. I love you all, thank you for your ongoing support. The page views I see everyday make me want to update my blog so thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment