Thursday, March 3, 2011

Just Another Day... in ISRAEL!

First things first.
I just finished my Old Testament final and I feel good!! I think I missed like 7 or so which I don't mind. WOOT! Now I am going on to New Testament, I can't wait. I get to go to Galillee in a little over a week to study Christ's life where a large portion of His ministry took place, all while studying the New Testament, sounds like heaven to me!
As of late I have just been studying a lot and going to class. We did have an awesome field trip on Monday to the Holocause museum located here in Jerusalem called Yad Vashem. It was a beautifully done musuem, very tasteful and sooo informative. They had so many small details that served as memorials for the people who were victims of the Holocaust and for those people who risked their lives to protect the Jews. An interesting fact I learned there was that when the Jews were relocated to Israel after the Holocaust they never talked about what had happened to them because there were two beliefs involved with surviving the Holocuast. Either you survived because you rebelled against the Nazis therefore you were a hero or because you did something terrible to survive. They beleived that you had to have done something terrible to survive because the Holocaust was so horrible that the odds were against everyone, it was next to impossible to survive so the question was posed to the survivors, why did you survive then? The people of Israel believed that the survivors had to have survived because they betrayed a friend, stole someones bread so they wouldn't die of starvation, hid someones hat so they were the ones shot at morning roll call, etc. They thought that the survival could have only happened because of the betrayal of someone else so then the survivors were looked down upon. I learned so much at this museum and while it was really sad and heart wrenching I was able to gain a better understanding of the Holocaust because I got to see it from a Jewish view.
Now I think I will go take a nap, I am feeling quite sleepy at the moment! Then I have Palestinian class which I am really not excited to go to. I thought last Tuesday was my last day but it wasn't. Sad face. Love you all! Sorry for my lacking of posts as of late. I will try to be better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment