Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Egypt, Day 2!

Sooo on our second day in Egypt we woke up at the Kibbutz and headed to the border! Border crossing between Israel and Egypt is intense! Holy moly. We have to pass through intense security on both sides of the border and also we have to show our passports like six times. Nevertheless, I got a sweet Egyptian visa sticker in my passport. After our border crossing we road the bus for about five hours. Coming into Cairo I was surprised because it looked so new and pretty, well developed, big shopping malls, etc. Well after driving on the (crazy) freeway for about 15 minutes into Cairo we realized what Cairo was really about; huge concrete apartment buildings with clothes hung on lines outside the windows, third world. The first part had been “New Cairo,” it is a new section of the city that they are developing and such. The traffic was insane! Since the traffic was so terrible we drove straight to the pyramids for the sound and light show. It was aweosome! They like point lasers and light shapes at the pyramids and tell the story of the pyramids and of the sphinx, a bit cheesy with lines like “as handsome as a barbarian” but nevertheless awesome! It was so fun to be on the bus and hear everyone’s reactions when we saw the pyramids for the first time when we were on the bus. It was awesome! Also, the Nile was pretty sweet too! After the sound and light show we went to our hotel and ate dinner, it was delightful and we were famished! The only sad thing is that we couldn’t eat cold fruits and vegetables in Egypt because they could be contaminated with the water so we were on a grain, meat, and cooked vegetable diet the whole time. That means I overdosed on carbs, ya not good! But me and a few friends made a pact that we would only eat one carb a meal and eat no more desserts. It has been about a week and I am going strong. NO desserts! Yay! I have been tempted but am proud to say that it is getting a lot easier to resist. I have been working out regularly too and I feel great. People around the center are coming to know of my exercise knowledge so that has been way fun and it is motivating me to get in better shape and become more knowledgeable! Things around the center have been nice and relaxed since we got back from Egypt although I didn’t do as well as I would have liked on two of my quizzes today. I need to refocus and regroup! Anyway all is well on the Jerusalem front! Tomorrow my post will be super exciting because it will be all about the pyramids!! Woot! Get excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment