Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Midterm Down!!

Hey all. Today I had my Old Testament midterm and I am pretty sure I could have done better. Ha. We will see the end results but I am setting my sights pretty low at the moment. So maybe I will update yall on a little of my Egypt trip!! I know this is taking like one hundred million years but I appreciate your patience! Oh ya, one thing. If you are looking for a delicious food website go to the smittenkitchen.com, it is amazing. It is perfect for wasting time, looking up a new recipe, making yourself hungry, getting a new obsession, etc. Go there, you won't be sad. Anyway sooo our second day in Cairo. What did we do?? We basically had the best day ever! On the itinerary was the valley of the kings, king Tut's tomb, Rameseum, and Hatshepsut's Monument. A little history. The Valley of the Kings is this valley where there are tons of tombs that have been discovered. We got to go through three of the tombs and it was amazing. There were beautiful paintings and heiroglyphs on the walls, it really brought Egypt to life. It was amazing for me to think that there were real human beings who worked on inscribing on the walls of those tombs and painting them. They used mirrors that were reflecting the light into the caves to be able to have light to write, they didn't use candles for it. It was so cool that the paintings were still colored and that they have lasted so long, I wasn't expecting it at all. One of the tombs we went in was the tomb of king TUT! Honestly guys it wasn't close to being as big or beautifully decorated as the other tombs. The reason why it is so famous is because it is like the only tomb that hadn't been raided, all of the treasures and stuff that king Tut was originally buried with was still there. His tomb was so small, just like one room, whereas all the other tombs were long and had many rooms off of the main hallway. I got to see king Tut's mummy too and it was awesome. He was so small and so well preserved. It was pretty great to see his mummy, not gonna lie! I would say that the valley of the kings was one of my favorite sights, it was so amazing to see beautiful work of the ancient people. The monument of Hatshepsut was so cool! It is this HUGE temple built right up/into the mountain side. Hatshepsut was this woman king who pretended to be a boy to rule. Her temple is so beautiful. It has a huge ramp up to the second story and it has many columns on the outside of it. I would post a picture but Blogger isn't uploading pictures well right now so maybe later. Anyway, sweet temple. The Rameseum was another awesome temple we saw (I think, I honestly forgot) I will update you if that is wrong. I just think it is amazing that these huge structures were made so many thousands of years ago. It baffles me that they are still standing, looking great. I cannot even imagine their beauty of ancient times. The preciseness of the carvings is amazing, all of the hieroglyphs look exactly alike, like every letter is identical, it really is amazing. Anyway my time is being cut short. All is well in Jerusalem. I haven't been to the city for a week and a half ha I am definitely feeling a little cabin fever so maybe today I will take a little break and head out. Tomorrow is my Jewish midterm, woot. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment