Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Work

Today was my last day ever working at the Cannon Commons.
I worked there since before my first day
of my freshman year of college.
That is 2.5 years.
I left work feeling a little sad.
I was a permanent fixture at the Cannon, an original. Now
I am no longer.
I remember the day I applied for the Cannon and got the job.
Dad and Mom said I had to get a job, we set aside a day just for job searching.
I was pretty grumpy, I really hate job searching.
I called on a few on campus postings and the positions had already been filled, I was
feeling dejected.
I remember my dad looking at the student employment board in the WILK and
seeing a sign about the new Cannon Center and
all the positions available.
It said to go to the center and stop in for an interview.
My dad suggested we do this so we did.
I was unhappy, I did not want to work in the food service industry.
I called the center and they said to just come right in for an interview, so I did.
The manager, JC, looked at my schedule and said the only
shift that would accommodate it would be a t/th/s shift, t/th in the grainery from 5:15 to close and Saturday 7-11:30am in the dishroom. My eyes started to get watery and all I
could say was ok, and ya.
I did not want to work in the dishroom on a Saturday morning!
I walked out of that place, newly hired and went and cried to my parents (sooo dramatic). They were happy I got a job and after I was dramatic for
a few more minutes my dad said we
could go shopping for snowboarding clothes since we had
accomplished the goal of getting me work.
So the day ended up ok and I survived working in the dishroom at 7 am in the morning.
I can now tell my children that I worked in a dishroom in college. I feel
like they can't ever whine to me about their horrible jobs, nothing to compete with.
haha
Ok life at the Cannon wasn't that bad.
It was the perfect college job and I am so thankful that my parents
made me get a job there that day.
It has blessed my life and taught me valuable lessons.
Now on to bigger and better things. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment